Meeting with Wendy McMurdo. We focussed on audience outcomes with MS Society and Dignity in Dying and the challenges of combining image, text, sound and video. On both points Wendy was clear that for the MA what is important is the delivery of a PDF with 12-20 images and evidence of a public outcome. She sees the project as bigger than the MA and something that can continue with an important public responsibility beyond the timeframe of the MA. An MA edit plus clear evidence of public consumption in progress is sufficient for a strong MA submission.
Wendy encouragement is to focus attention on the editing process. She likes the idea of creating visual sentences as one set and verbal sentences as another set. Then combining them will be what can give the project impact. She is encouraging me to keep shooting to fill in gaps. Her strong advice is to avoid learning new skills such as video during this period.
Wendy feels the project fits really well with the current FORMAT21 open call for work under the heading ‘Control.’ This needs to be submitted by September 14th.
This all fits with work in progress. I have meetings with the MS Society and Dignity in Dying this afternoon to get in to more detail about what is possible with them. My ambition is a publication from them in November but Wendy advice is this is not essential for the MA. I am working on the visual and verbal sentences with an intention to complete a set by the end of next week. I will prepare a submission for FORMAT21.
The actions agreed are as follows:
- Keep focus in MA on the requirement for a PDF with 12-20 images and a public outcome.
- Consider three possible edits – one for the MA, one for the MS Society and one for Dignity in Dying. Alternatively, one edit for the MA with a story/interview around it for each of the MS Society and Dignity in Dying can work.
- A photoessay with voiceover and evidence of commitment to a public outcome with the MS Society and/or Dignity in Dying would be a strong summission.
- Submit an entry of the project to FORMAT21’s current open call on the subject of ‘Control’ before September 14th.
- Focus attention now on the visual sentences formed with images and text sentences that can go with the work.
- Consider putting 30 second clips with images and voiceover out into the world. Create interest in the project.
- Look at Jeremy Nicoll’s ‘My Beautiful Cancer’ as an example of a photoessay with a public outcome.
- Avoid spending time learning new skills such as video at this stage.